Sunday, May 8, 2011

Response to Alison Watt- Contemporary Art by Missy Ramsey

"She gained early recognition as a painter, winning the National Portrait Gallery’s annual award as a student, then a commission to paint the Queen Mother’s portrait in 1989. Inspired by the nineteenth century painter Ingres, Watt’s portraits often focus upon the drapery which is traditionally used as a backdrop for the sitter. In her recent large-scale works, the human figure is entirely absent, allowing the texture and folds of the fabric to take centre stage." (contemporaryartetc.com) 

When I saw Alison Watt's fabric art, I was intrigued with how well she was able to shade and make it seem like you could just touch the fabric yourself. When I look at fabric art, I feel relaxed and imagin myself able to lay in a warm blanket that is soft.  Also the way she is able the whole canvas just amazes me with her technique.  I really like her contemporary art picture of fabric painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment